Having good digestion and a healthy gut is essential for all-round health and wellness.
Good gut bacteria play an important role in maintaining a healthy gut and digestive system, and has additional benefits such as:
- Reducing inflammation in the body
- Protecting the immune system
- Regulating a healthy weight
- Lowering our susceptibility to diseases
The key is to have a healthy balance of more of the good bacteria and less of the bad bacteria in our gut, and this can be achieved through the use of prebiotics and probiotics.
WHAT ARE PROBIOTICS:
These are live bacteria found in supplements and certain foods.
They help keep bad bacteria in the gut under control
The most common types include bifidobacteria and lactobacili.
WHAT ARE PREBIOTICS:
Prebiotics help to feed the good bacteria in the digestive system.
You do not need to rush off and buy a ton of supplements just yet!
Here are some good food sources of prebiotics and probiotics.
FOOD SOURCES OF PREBIOTICS:
- Chicory root
- Legumes, including peas
- Chia seeds
- Hemp seeds
- Sweet potatoes
SOURCES OF PROBIOTICS:
- Unpasteurized Apple Cider Vinegar - try to the one with the "Mother"
- Kefir, both the dairy and non-dairy types
- Pickled vegetables
- Sourdough bread
- Yoghurt, plain and unsweetened, with live cultures
- Micro-algae, such as spirulina, chlorella etc
You can also look after your gut by reducing stress levels, getting enough sleep each night, and cutting down on sugary and processed foods.
A healthy gut is a happy gut!!